Thursday, June 12, 2008

Addendum

Well - we are having quite some storm tonight!! It rained cats and dogs on the way home from work - then it stopped. It rained after dinner - then it stopped. It rained while we were hanging pictures - and the lightning hit somewhere near the creek. Boy, was that loud! Then we went out to look at the fireflies (lightning bugs for you Iowans reading this). I have to say - sitting in the dry back porch watching fireflies, and seeing the lighting flashes almost 270 degrees around was quite exciting. But when the tornado siren went off, we went back inside, turned off all of the stuff upstairs and brought mom and the dogs into the basement. While I went back up to get our flashlights, another one hit right down the street. Now, mind you, we have had flashes of lightning for the last few hours or so, and as I am writhing this at 11pm, the thunder still has not stopped! I'm sure there were a few times when the sky wasn't lit up somewhere or another, but this storm put all the storms in California and even those cool Arizona summer storms to shame.

Supposed to be at least two inches of rain - I bet it was more. I'll keep you updated on the flood, but I bet the creek behind our house is working its way past the bike path and the river is working its way toward my office building. They are talking about this being worse than the flood of '93. If so, the water may hit the basement of our building and the power will go out. So we would have to work from home. I don't know what that would do to the creek behind the house. We'll just have to see.

Since I have started writing this blog - another round of lightining has come and it is still nonstop - but louder!! So, we are talking at least from about 8:30 to well past midnight for this storm - flashes everywhere. Everyone went back upstairs when the Tornado Warning lifted at 10:30, but I'm still in the basement with my laptop. Too comfy. Now - I love thunder storms. So this has been pretty exciting for me. However, that one flash/crack when I went up to get the flashlights and turn off mom's lights... That was a bit close and got my heart pumping. Other than that, I have enjoyed this storm. I do need to get some sleep, and we will see tomorrow (Friday, June 13th) what damage this storm did - I'm sure you will all see and hear - but we are still ok. Thanks for caring about us.

Yes - Iowa is still here!

No comments: